7. - Nighttime Nemesis



When I was in my fourth year of high school, I started experiencing cramps during my sleep. I'd wake up in excruciating pain as the muscles in my legs contracted. It normally happened during the early morning (1-3 am). These went on for almost 2 months every week. 


My mom teased that it was just my body reacting to the fact that I lacked exercise. I wasn't used to exercising anymore because in my third year of high school, I didn't really see eye to eye with my PE teacher. She would give us low marks whenever we participated in PE class. So, I experimented. I hardly attended PE classes for a whole term. Low and behold, I received the highest marks I've ever gotten from her. In return, I seldom attended PE class. But in my final year of high school, I had a different teacher so I started attending PE class regularly. My body did not respond well. Thus, the nighttime cramps began. My doctor advised me to do stretch everyday. Fortunately, it did help and I stopped having cramps.



Now, I am a first year college student. I now commute everyday. Commuting requires a lot walking too. (My school is in Magallanes, Makati and my house is in Las Pinas City.) My nighttime nemesis came back. However, it came back with a vengeance. I now sometimes experience waking up at night with both of my legs cramping simultaneously. Not to be helplessly defeated, I started to research about muscle cramps on the internet. These were my findings:


WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU EXPERIENCE CRAMPS?


1. In order to relax the muscle, you have to stretch it no matter how painful it may seem. It won't get better unless you stretch it.

2. Remember how when the temperature is hot and most matter expands? The same is true for muscles. When you experience a cramp, your muscle involuntarily contracts. A heating pad or a warm shower can help relax a contracted muscle.

3. Consult with your doctor. If your doctor assigns you medicine to drink. REMEMBER to do so and follow the prescription.

4. GATORADE is your friend. Drinking lots of liquids and sports drink such as Gatorade will help with muscle cramps. It is important to hydrate.

5. Eat food that is rich in Magnesium, Calcium, and vitamins. (bananas, dark leafy greens, nuts, avocados, etc.)




Comments

  1. I had also experienced it having a hard time when I got cramps when playing a basketball that time, and what my cousins did is that he push straight both of my legs! And it really works! Just wanted to add in your blog post Kate! It is totally an informative blog post! It was very helpful for those who always experiencing this muscle cramps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also experienced cramps when i took Karate classes, This is a very informative post on cramps. now i know all i need is to stretch, hot compress, drink more liquids, and eat bananas. You helped me a lot, thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess you could call it a part of human nature to wake up at 1 a.m. in excruciating pain. haha. Of course, I'm just kidding. This would really be helpful for the next time I get cramps. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

12. - Why the Lord Made Cockroaches

11. - "A Book Is More Than That"

16. - Comments for my Dear Classmates